Aaron / Marcus age tickers

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My trying day and the things that make me smile

I'm having a trying day with the boys... certainly not the worst day (not by a long shot!) but one that makes me feel the need to remind myself how great they USUALLY are. 
It all began when Aaron came into our bed around 2:30 this morning.  We were way too tired to fight him so Brad shoved into the middle and Aaron slept in his spot... until he fell out of bed, that is.  The poor little punkin' whacked his head on the nightstand before hitting the floor!  After some snuggles and some ice he actually went back to his own bed.  Marcus decided he also needed some snuggles so he came into bed.  Since Marcus is still getting over his ear infections his sleeping/eating schedule is off a bit... he demanded a bottle at 5:30am.  Another virtually sleepless night!  The morning routine was fine... until it was time for Marcus to take a nap.  He ALWAYS takes a morning nap from around 8:30-9:30 or 10am.  NOT TODAY!!!  Despite the fact that he was exhausted he refused to nap.  Aaron was busy going through my purse insisting I had lolly pops (which I did not - he didn't believe me)  He managed to take everything out.  I reminded him that everything he takes out MUST go back in.  When tucking Aaron into bed last night I promised him I would take him to the dollar store today to spend last week's allowance (they have 6 aisles of toys!) so after we all got dressed, off we went.  The dollar store is next to the grocery store so we were also going to pop in for a few things.  We did the dollar store first then packed our cart full of groceries at the market only to get up to the cash register and find that my wallet is not in my purse!  Ugh!  I apologized to the cashier and told her that I would be back in 5 minutes or less with my wallet.  We raced to the parking lot, I loaded the kiddos and the stroller, drove the 3 blocks home, grabbed the wallet and got back to the store in about 4 minutes - whew!  My groceries had been put away!  I guess they've been before and didn't think I'd actually be back.  Soooo.... we had to do our grocery shopping all over again!  Marcus was starving at this point and only mildly amused by my silly faces and random "purse toys" (What?  Chapstick isn't fun?)  We got home just in time for a Marcus meltdown and for Aaron to nearly have an accident... the big kind!  I scooped Aaron up to bring to the potty then quickly mixed a bottle for Marcus.  From upstairs I hear "uh oh I'm stuck".  Ahhh Man!  Aaron had fallen into the toilet!  Legs flailing in the air, arms sort of draped over the sides of the bowl and of course his shirt and sweater were soaked up to the neck!  I prayed that he hadn't actually pooped yet... sadly, he had!  So to recap - I have a poop and toilet water covered 3 year old, a starving and screaming 7 month old, groceries in the open trunk of the car that need to be brought in and put away and now I have to start a bath!  Sweet!  Marcus got his bottle, Aaron got his bath and the groceries were eventually put away.  There were a few battles about what was an appropriate lunch and we settled on mac and cheese with peas and corn in it (frozen peas and corn - not heated up because he 'likes to bite into the freezing cold!"), applesauce and yogurt.  Now the boys are napping... both!  Ahhhhhh
On to the things that make me smile...
1.  When both boys nap at the same time
2.  When Aaron makes Marcus laugh
3.  How Aaron still absentmindedly twirls my hair
4.  When Marcus says "Mama" in his growl voice
5.  The little dimple on Marcus' right cheek
6.  The way Aaron says tomato... "toe-mato"  It sounds so proper :)
7.  When Marcus opens his tiny little hand on my cheek
8.  Morning snuggles in bed with my 3 favorite guys
9.  Dinner in the slow cooker
10.  Getting magazines in the mail
11.  DVR
12.  Marcus' toothless grin
13.  Listening to Aaron play on his own.  Before nap he was pretending to read his pillow pets a story... he "read" a book we got from the library called "Dear Mr. Blueberry" and he remembered it almost exactly!
14.  Our impending beach vacation... Surf City, NC here we come! 
15. When Aaron tells me he thinks I'm beautiful (even if he follows it with "wonder woman is beautiful too")
16. Movie nights
17. Zulilly
18. Reading novels and drinking milk tea
19.  Nights when the kids go to bed and Brad and I have a late supper
20.  Weekends

No comments:

Post a Comment